Announcing Sarasota Opera Days in South County
October 29, 2009
Patricia G. Horwell - Communications Officer - (941) 366-8450, ext. 332
Since the demise of the Venice Opera Guild last year, Sarasota Opera has made a commitment to continue bringing opera to the South County Community. In the past the company’s Studio and Apprentice Artists performed regularly for guild members at meetings and events. To fulfill that pledge, Sarasota Opera Studio and Apprentice Artists will make appearances in Venice and North Port in November.
Singers will perform:
• For residents of Harbor Chase of Venice, November 6.
• For students of North Port High School on November 6.
• For those 50 and over at The Kathleen Catlin Senior Friendship Center, 2350 Scenic Drive, Venice. Senior Friendship Center, November 6, at 3 p.m.
• For the residents of the Venice Golf and Country Club, November 7
• For the general public at the Venice Public Library, 300 S. Nokomis Avenue, on the Island of Venice, November 10 at 3 p.m.
Additionally, singers recently performed at the Venice Italian American Club.
Sarasota Opera's Studio Artists, under the direction of Kristen Kemp, are emerging artists who serve the main stage productions by covering the principal roles and performing supporting roles. With dozens of roles needing covers each season, Studio Artists are often called on to substitute for an ill or injured principal, sometimes with little notice. In addition, Studio Artists augment the Apprentice Artists chorus for some operas and concerts.
The Fall Apprentice Artists Program, under the direction of Roger L. Bingaman, consists of 20 professional singers who are graduates of university music schools and conservatories. Some have completed their doctoral studies, choosing this path towards breaking into the highly competitive world of professional opera. The apprentices perform in choruses in all the mainstage productions, several concerts on the opera’s main stage, and at numerous outreach venues.